Sunday, September 28, 2008

Family activities

One of the things I'm not good at but will need to learn to be is coming up with things to do. I've always had to find things for me to do, and then things for me to do with friends, and then to do with a girlfriend, and then with my wife. I'm not good at any of those really, and soon I'll have to do that for my child.

The thing about that that I hopefully will find easier, is that I went through plenty of those things as a child myself. I think the big things will be easy come up with. We all did things in our childhoods that helped build character, and things we know we missed out on that we want our children to do.

The small things will be difficult to come up with. Yesterday we went apple picking, which is what inspired me to do this post. That was a fun activity, and there were tons of kids there. I can see us taking our kids picking apples, or pumpkins, or whatever. But coming up with those on a daily or even weekly basis can be brutal.

Thankfully, I won't have to start thinking of things for quite a while, which brings a scary fact to light for myself... I don't actually know when that will be. Do I start finding these activities at 6 months? 3 months? 9 years? I have no idea. I have a general idea, and I'm sure I'll know it when it gets here. But I'd like to know now so I can prepare and come up with a potential time line.

No comments: