Saturday, September 20, 2008

Really scary stuff

My wife is a big Oprah fan, like many women, and the other day was this story on child predators. That stuff scares me to death as a future father, and current uncle.

Now I'm generally a trusting person, giving people the opportunity to prove me wrong. I don't know if I can take that perspective with my kids. I'm pretty sure I'll have to do some recon at the homes, and possibly some spying on my neighbors internet activity to ease my fears.

It just blows me away that people are out there like that. I can imagine myself doing some pretty horrible stuff, stuff I never would actually do but I can still see some outrageous circumstances to bring them about. This, this I cannot understand at all. I get that there are plenty of sexual freaks out there, into things I'll never understand, but I can respect that fact. One man's garbage is another man's fetish. But really, how? How can that possibly be something that someone is into?

Anyway, it's one of my greater fears for my children. I expect my wife and I to do more than what we really should be doing to investigate our kids' friends' parents, but without being able to read minds we'll never really know. that lack of control or information is really scary to me, mostly because the consequences for not knowing are so severe.

Anyway, I plan on doing some research into that law that Oprah is discussing to see what it actually does. Hopefully it's as good as she advertises, or at least a positive step in the right direction without stepping on our rights as citizens. It's a fine line, one that isn't very often walked, but one I highly respect. If I find anything substantive, I'll make sure to post it.

No comments: