Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Beliefs

So, I'm not a big believer in religion. I think there is a god or higher power out there, but how should I raise a child? I was raised in a pretty god centric environment, and my wife was not. This sort of puts us at odds on this decision, but not how you'd think.

She feels something was missing in her childhood without any sort of spiritual guidance. She does not want our children to grow up the same way. She wants them to feel purpose that she did not feel, and to understand a belief structure.

Me, on the other hand, was raised in a religious household, being forced to go to church every Sunday and even doing youth activities that I did not want to do. I saw people not practicing what they preached and it made me sick. I saw a man made philosophy that was largely broken and often not fully followed. I saw plenty of people showing up to be seen, and having priorities all mixed up.

Now, this is not to say that I agree with the religion, but at least I understood it. I don't think most churchies know what they believe. They pick and choose what to follow and what not to follow. And then they only do that in the presence of other churchies. It drives me crazy, but yet I don't see it as all bad.

Is my wife right in that we need to raise our kids with some sort of religion? Should we teach them about various belief structures and let them decide on their own? I think the right call is somewhere in the middle, but finding that happy medium will not be easy.

No comments: