Monday, March 2, 2009

It's a boy!

Today we had our 20 week ultrasound (1 day before 20 weeks technically) and first and most importantly everything is looking healthy and normal.  10 fingers, 10 toes, all in the correct proportions.  4 chambered heart, 2 kidneys, 1 stomach, 1 bladder all look good.  The skeletal structure all looked pretty good and solid as well.  

And then we got the news that we are 99% sure we're having a boy!  Now that is exciting.  Not necessarily because it's a boy, but because we know.  The baby has now moved from "it" to "he" which is a pretty big deal with how you see things.

My wife started crying so sweetly when she found out, and it's because she could see her future flashing before her eyes.  Before everything was blurry, but now it's become clear.  I couldn't have said it better myself.  

Now we're moving to the freak out stage, or at least my wife is.  See, she's from a family of girls, so she has lived with two men in her life, me and her father.  So she has yet to live with a little boy.  She doesn't know the rules to football.  She doesn't sword fight all that well.  She has probably never cleaned as much mud off of clothes as she will with our son.  She is starting to see things in a completely new way that is scary for her.  But she does have a resident expert on hand to assist with raising this child as I don't know if I've ever left that little boy stage.

For me, this does put a little more pressure on me to teach my son some of the things every boy should know.  Thankfully I'm somewhat into cars, sports, computers, video games, and pretty much everything else a boy should know.  But he will also need to be well rounded, which I pride myself in being, but I need to figure out a good balance to at least educate him in all these things.  I'm sure I'll do just fine, especially with the wife keeping me in check.  

To close it up, we are very happy.  We can't wait for our little boy to enter the world and be a part of the family.  And telling the family is so much fun as well!

1 comment:

Busy-Dad-E said...

Congratulations, great news! Glad mom and baby are doing well. My wife is the oldest of three girls. Even though she'd like to have a girl (eventually, I guess that falls on me), she couldn't be happier with two boys, who I'm sure will be overprotective of their mom. I'm sure you're father-in-law is thrilled, too. Is this the first grandchild?